The Indian agricultural sector is the backbone of the country’s economy, employing over 50% of the workforce and contributing significantly to the GDP. However, Indian farmers often face numerous challenges, including low income, volatile crop prices, and lack of access to resources. To address these issues and improve the lives of farmers, the Government of India launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM Kisan) scheme in 2019.
What is PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi?
PM Kisan is a direct income support scheme aimed at providing financial assistance to all eligible landholding farmer families in India. Under this scheme, an income support of Rs. 6,000/- per year is provided to each eligible farmer family in three equal instalments of Rs. 2,000/- each. This translates to a total of Rs. 50,000 crore being disbursed to farmers annually.
Eligibility for PM-Kisan
All landholding farmer families in India are eligible for the PM-Kisan scheme, irrespective of the size of their landholding. However, there are certain exclusion criteria:
- Institutional landholders (e.g., government institutions, trusts)
- Income tax payers (except those whose income from agriculture is less than Rs. 10,000)
- Former or present government employees (except those who are engaged in agriculture as a main occupation)
- Deceased farmers
Benefits of PM-Kisan
The PM-Kisan scheme has brought several benefits to Indian farmers:
- Increased income: The financial assistance provided under the scheme helps to supplement the income of farmers, enabling them to meet their basic needs and invest in their farms.
- Reduced debt burden: The scheme helps to reduce the debt burden of farmers, making them less vulnerable to exploitation by moneylenders.
- Improved living standards: The additional income allows farmers to improve their living standards and invest in their children’s education and healthcare.
- Boosted morale: The scheme has boosted the morale of farmers, giving them a sense of security and recognition.
Challenges and Future of PM-Kisan
Despite its benefits, the PM-Kisan scheme also faces some challenges:
- Fake beneficiaries: There have been reports of fake beneficiaries availing the scheme benefits. To address this, the government has made e-KYC mandatory for all PM-Kisan beneficiaries.
- Delayed payments: In some cases, there have been delays in the disbursement of installments. The government is working to improve the efficiency of the scheme to ensure timely payments.
- Exclusion of certain farmers: Some categories of farmers, such as tenant farmers and landless laborers, are not eligible for the scheme. The government is considering expanding the scheme to cover these farmers as well.
Overall, the PM-Kisan Samman Nidhi is a well-intentioned scheme that has brought significant benefits to millions of Indian farmers. However, there is a need to address the existing challenges and ensure that the scheme reaches all eligible beneficiaries. By doing so, the government can make PM-Kisan a truly transformative initiative that empowers Indian farmers and strengthens the agricultural sector.
- For more information on the PM-Kisan scheme, please visit the official website: https://pmkisan.gov.in/
- You can also track the status of your PM-Kisan application and payments on the website.
- If you have any questions or grievances, you can contact the PM-Kisan Helpline at 155261.